Calla Lily Bulbs (Zantedeschia)
- -5%Sku: 1005040Calla Rainbow Mix3 bulbs/corms in package€9,95 €9,45
- -5%Sku: 1005036Calla Captain Caruso1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005046Calla Yelloween1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005045Calla Captain Samba1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005027Zantedeschia (Calla) Picasso1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005015Zantedeschia (Calla) Captain Ventura1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005026Zantedeschia (Calla) Odessa1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005037Calla Captain Cheerio1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005038Calla Captain Lido1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005039Calla Captain Solo1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005041Calla Snow Storm1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005042Calla Sumatra1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005043Calla Captain Violetta1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005044Calla Captain Odeon1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005047Calla Lily (Zantedeschia) Airbrush1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005048Calla Lily (Zantedeschia) Bloody Mary1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005049Calla Lily (Zantedeschia) Cantor1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005050Calla Lily (Zantedeschia) Escape1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
- -5%Sku: 1005051Calla Lily (Zantedeschia) Mercedes1 bulb/corm in package€3,95 €3,75
Calla plants are unmistakably identified by its funnel-shaped flowers. The flowers are found in a plethora of exciting colours. The rhizomatous plant is a herbaceous perennial native to South Africa. It has spongy leaves with different shapes depending on the type of flower.
The leaves of calla plants are dark green and yield beautiful flowers that brighten the summer. Calla (Zantedeschia) has two major species that include:
These calla lilies can withstand hard zones of 6-8. They have green leaves and produce white flowers. Their foliage dies back in winter. However, they spring back and continue thriving after the period is over without their bloom getting affected.
Tender Zantedeschia/Calla Lilies
These are vulnerable to freezing climates and are ideal for planting during spring. They produce flowers of different colours, and their green leaves have white spots all over. These lilies can thrive in zones 8-10 and 3-7, where climates are colder.
Planting Calla Lily Bulbs
What are the main peculiarities of planting calla lily bulbs? Since tender zantedeschia bulbs are vulnerable to ice, it is advisable to dig them when frost begins. Keep them in a warm area for growing when winter is over. Alternatively, you can plant them indoors in a warm room and transfer them to the garden if you want an early bloom.
You should plant them in soil that drains well. Additionally, these bulbs require consistent watering to keep them bountiful.
How to Plant Calla Lily Bulbs
Planting calla bulbs is incredibly fun because they do not require much. They are exceptional for growing in pots and borders. Here is how to plant calla lily bulbs:
- Ensure your soil is at least 18o C before planting your bulbs
- When planting directly, dig 4-inch holes with a 12-inch distance
- Mix your soil with soluble fertilizer or compost in the hole and put your bulb in
- Ensure the sprouts faces up, bury, and press the soil to hold your bulb in position. Do not press hard to avoid hurting the bulb.
- Water and mulch when they grow above the soil to control weed growth and to keep them moist
- When transferring the bulbs from a plant nursery, ensure you do not cover the sprouts. Mulch and water as required.
When to Plant Calla Lily Bulbs
The logical question arises: when to plant calla lily bulbs? The best time to plant calla lily bulbs is at the beginning of spring. Since they stay up to two weeks before they start sprouting, you can grow them indoors early if you want to have a continuous bloom. Instead of waiting till mid-summer for your flowers to show, you can start enjoying their beautiful view in early summer.
Alternatively, if you cannot manage to plant the bulbs in-house for a later transfer, you can get calla lily plants for sale from us and plant them immediately after frost clears. Do you have a specific calla variety you would like to buy? We provide the best zantedeschia in the region, so you do not have to worry about stunted plants. Our plants produce striking flowers that make your garden and patio look divine.
Planting calla bulbs is a DIY project that you can do with the help of a loved one or alone. If you want to have the flowers as house plants, find a beautiful planting container that complements your interior décor. Then, look for a window that allows sunlight to get through in your house and place your planted bulbs on that window frame.
Are you concerned about buying calla lily live plants for sale? Honestly, you need to be keen while dealing with these. Otherwise, you can end up with unhealthy plants and fail to enjoy your bloom. Check whether there are parts of the zantedeschia plant you intend to buy that are rotten. Look for soft spotting on any part of your plant as well and lesions.
Do you have a favourite zantedeschia flower? These flowers make excellent cut flowers since they can last up to two weeks in a flower pot. Pick a bouquet and gift it to a person you cherish, and it will undoubtedly make a tender and caring lasting impression.
So, how deep do I plant calla lily bulbs? To help you with the question, we guide you through the planting steps if you are new to the idea of planting these bulbs. But, the ideal depth for large bulbs is 4 inches with a variation in size.
Did you recently find out about these magnificent flowers and would like to know more? Contact us at your most convenient time, and we will be happy to enlighten you about this magical plant.
Frequently asked questions about Spring Flowering Calla Lily Bulbs (Zantedeschia)
Where Is the Best Place to Plant Zantedeschia?
How Do You Care for Calla?
Where Is the Best Place to Buy Zantedeschia?
Looking for a bountiful bloom this summer? You need quality seedlings or healthy young plants for your garden. You can pre-order with us to enjoy amazing discounts for the best calla bulbs. Choose from our limitless options online, and we will get them to your place.
What Kind of Calla Are Popular?
Yes, they might be common in most gardens but that doesn’t mean they aren’t unique. They will make your garden stand out from the rest. Some varieties you can never go wrong with regardless of whether your garden is big or small are: